Sunday, June 04, 2006

MUSINGS

It`s been nearly two weeks since I`ve posted in either this blog or my book. I`ve also just completed my appointed rounds to other blogs for the first time in awhile. Talk about losing a Muse!

I figure maybe I should just stumble on here, see if there are any juices at the bottom of the jar. I think Ed`s story took a lot out of me, 8000 words in about a week to ten days. Ah, but I loved the drivenness of it!

I could sense depression trying to rear its ugly head at its ending, could sense self deprecating thoughts about my work. Man, to me, the starting to write is such hard work. The obstacle course to get to the typing [or, for a poem, the writing]. I wish I had the discipline that I see so often displayed in the wonderful blogs that I have the pleasure to read. There`s a whole group out there that continually give me pause.

Oh, and then I got sick, a cold and stuff, better than depression though! Ramblin` on, ………… [geez, got stuck, nothin` to say]…….I think I`ve been delving a bit too deeply lately; on death, depression, dreams [see Jod[i], all D`s! Serendipity!]

I think of the sadness in Ed`s death and the sadness visiting so many homes across our nation. Iraq is truly this generation`s Vietnam. The deaths, the mutilations…for what? I believe there is only one thing stopping our youth from the same kind of protesting that was so prevalent to my generation, to the senselessness.

The lack of a draft allows this generation to emotionally distance themselves. They feel no threat to themselves, don`t think about the horrors. The pain of this war is not shared by the body of America, only the families of volunteers and reservists called to active duty. I believe the institution of a national draft would bring an end to this folly. Course, Washington knows this too. Ergo, no draft. Too much money to be made, too many Halliburtons.


V